“A Time to Kill: The Myth of Christian Pacifism”
- Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals: Clerk for Judge John Patterson, 1988-90. Clerk for Judge Samuel Welch, 2013-2015.
- Admitted to Alabama Bar, 1989.
- City Prosecutor, City of Huntsville, AL, 1990-1997. City of Madison, AL, 2000-2003.
- Private Practice of Law, concentrating on criminal defense, June 1997-August 2005.
- Adjunct Criminal Justice Professor, ITT Technical Institute, Madison, AL. 2008-2011. Courses taught: Criminal Law, Interviewing and Interrogation, Policing History and Procedures, Criminology, Transportation Security, State and Local Government, and U.S. Government.
- Municipal Court Judge, City of Gurley, AL, 1999-2001.
- Municipal Court Judge, City of Owens Crossroads, AL, 1997-2003.
- City Magistrate, Birmingham, Al, 1987 (6 months).
- Auxiliary Police Officer, Waverly, OH, 1983 (5 months). Had full arrest powers while under supervision of full-time officers.
- Law Enforcement Trainer, City of Huntsville. Courses taught: Use-of-force law and procedure for patrol officers and jail detention officers (7 ½ years); Rights of prisoners for detention officers (7 ½ years); DUI law, case preparation, and trial testimony for Huntsville Police Academy new patrol officers (12 years).
- Trainer of Madison patrol officers: DUI law, case preparation and trial testimony, 1999.
- Developed and conducted a 3 hour class for civilians in Alabama use of force and relevant firearms law, 1991-1993.
- Developed and teach a 6 hour use-of-force course for civilians, “Alabama Self-Defense Laws,” 1999-present.
- Developed a course and have trained armed security teams for five different churches on use-of-force law.
- Developed and taught a one hour course for businesses dealing with workplace violence and active shooters.
- Bachelor of Arts in History, The University of Tennessee, 1978. Graduated Cum Laude and with Special Honors in History.
- Juris Doctor, Cumberland School of Law, Birmingham, AL, 1988.
HONORS and AWARDS
- Edwin R. Rollinson Award for Best Candidate’s Paper for American Journal of Trial Advocacy, Vol. 11:1, 1986.
- Article “The Rhode Island Supreme Court Tolls the Statute of Limitations: On a Clear Day You See Forever” was designated “Worth Reading” by the National Trial Journal, Nov. 1986.
- Treasurer, Madison County Bar Association, 1997-98.
- First Champion on “JEOPARDY!” TV game show when it re-launched with Host Alex Trebek in 1984.
- Alabama Bar Association. 1989-Present.
- Madison County Bar Association. 1990-2013.
- Life Member, National Rifle Association.
- Member, Gun Owners of America.
- Member, Second Amendment Foundation.
- American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, 2002-2005.
- International Law Enforcement Education & Training Association, 2002-2005.
- Wrote the Alabama Firearms Law section for Attorney Jon H. Gutmacher’s book, Florida Firearms Law, Use, and Ownership. 8th ed. Indian Harbor Beach, FL: Warlord Publishing, 2014.
- A Time to Kill: The Myth of Christian Pacifism. Florence, AL: Mindbridge Press, 2013.
- “Preparation: A Biblical Concept.” Gun Rights Magazine (www.gunrightsmagazine.com), April 29, 2013.
- “True Honor.” Gun Rights Magazine (www.gunrightsmagazine.com), March 27, 2013.
- “A Time to Kill: How Biblical Principles Can Help Officers Deal with Violent Encounters.” Ohio Police Chief Magazine, Summer 2002: 85.
- “The Rhode Island Supreme Court Tolls the Statute of Limitations: On a Clear Day You Can See Forever,” American Journal of Trial Advocacy, 11:1, 1987. Designated “worth reading” in The National Law Journal, November 21, 1988.
- Commentator for Huntsville TV stations, WAAY (ABC), WHNT (CBS), and WAFF (NBC). Local news for DUI stories, use-of-force incidents by police, and two 3-part news series by WAAY: “Shoot/Don’t Shoot” and “Domestic Violence Law,” 1991-2005.
- Appeared seven times on Valley Happenings with Suzie Wiley, WYAM TV, to discuss various topics covered by A Time to Kill, 2013-2105.
- The Attack Machine with Dale Jackson, Oct. 2012 WVNN, Athens, AL.
- The Happy Hour with Greg Buddell, Sept. 2013 WACV, Montgomery, AL.
- The Rachel Hammers Show, June 2015. WEKI, Huntsville, AL.
SPEAKING AND COURSES DEVELOPED
- Developed and taught, “Principles of Personal Protection” a talk on myths of self-defense and the kind of tactics and non-lethal weapons that work on the street. Presented to churches, civic groups, daycare staff, college and high school students and clubs. 1993- Present.
- Developed and taught “Issues in Self Defense Cases” to Madison County Young Lawyers for CLE credit. 1999.
- Developed and taught “Dealing with Workplace Violence” in 2002. Presented course to mid-level management representing several companies.
- Developed and taught, “Fight or Flight: How Biology and Psychology Affect Strategy and Tactics in Self Defense Cases” in 2000.
- Presented Fight or Flight seminar for CLE credit to the following groups:
- Morgan County Bar Association, June 2001.
- Madison County Bar “Last Chance Seminar” Dec. 2001.
- Middle Tennessee Municipal Judges Conference, March, 2002.
- East Tennessee Municipal Judges Conference, July 2002.
- West Tennessee Municipal Judges Conference, Oct. 2002
- Alabama League of Municipalities Prosecutors CLE, April, 2003.
- Developed and taught “The Original Meaning of the Second Amendment According to the Founders,” 1995-present. Presented this seminar to various groups including the local National Rifle Association clubs, Daughters of the American Revolution, Alabama State Young Republican Convention, National Young Republican Convention, and Huntsville “Rally for the Second Amendment.”
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Expert Witness on use of force and firearms in criminal and civil cases, 1998-present.
- Waverly Ohio Police Academy, 1983. Completed 40 hours of legal training and 16 hours pistol and shotgun training as a reserve officer.
- Member, Intergraph Gun Club Shooting Team, 1991-1993
- Lethal Force Institute, Level 1. Taught by Massad Ayoob. Completed 28 hours of legal instruction on use of force and 12 hours of handgun shooting instruction.
- U.S. Department of Justice CLE for Police Advisors, FBI Academy, Quantico, VA. Completed 22 hours of continuing legal education credit including 1 hour on use of force law, 2 hours on death penalty issues and psychology of serial killers and police civil liability.
- NRA Certified Pistol Safety and Personal Protection Instructor.
- Certified use-of-force instructor and certified pepper spray instructor, National Criminal Justice Training Council, Twin Lakes, WI. Pepper spray course, 8 hours. Use-of-force course, 24 hours.
- Police advisor to Huntsville Police Department, 1990-1997. Advised on the following: DUI law, search and seizure, adoption of pepper spray, physical control techniques and training policy, firearms use and procedures policy, current law for DUI Task Force and observed patrol procedures in ride-alongs.
- Administrative Office of Courts, 1991-1997. Taught clerks and magistrates probable cause determination and municipal court practice and procedures.
- Tried thousands of non-jury cases in Municipal and District Courts, two non-jury cases in Federal District Court, and approximately 30 jury trials in Alabama Circuit Courts.