Vladimir Putin gas vowed to ‘punish’ those responsible for bringing down a Russian jet over the Sinai desert last month, after he confirmed that a bomb was responsible for the crash.
The Russian president claimed that the jet was blown up by a home-made bomb containing 1.5kg of explosives, resulting in the loss of 224 lives.
Shortly after Mr Putin’s announcement, Egyptian authorities arrested two airport employees accused of helping ISIS to smuggle the device onto the aircraft.
A $50 million reward has been offered for information leading to the capture of the terror cell responsible for the atrocity.
An Egyptian spokesman said: ‘Seventeen people are being held, two of them are suspected of helping whoever planted the bomb on the plane at Sharm al-Sheikh airport.’
The Airbus A321 disappeared 23 minutes after leaving Sharm el-Sheikh airport en-route to St Petersburg.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack on the Metrojet aircraft which crashed on October 31.
Alexander Bortnikov, head of the FSB security agency told Russian President Vladimir Putin: ‘One can say unambiguously that it was a terror act.
‘An improvised bomb with a capacity of up to 1.5 kg of TNT exploded on the fight.
‘As a result, the aircraft was torn apart in the air, which explains the large distance over which the pieces of the fuselage of the aircraft have scattered.’