The U.S. and China have agreed to a draft resolution increasing U.N. sanctions against North Korea as punishment for the Communist country’s latest nuclear test and rocket launch.
Security Council diplomats told Fox News late Wednesday that draft resolution had been circulated to all 15 members of the council for their consideration. A senior Western diplomat told Fox News that a vote on the resolution could take place by this weekend.
The Security Council is scheduled to hold closed consultations Thursday afternoon on compliance with the North Korean sanctions resolutions, and the U.S.-China draft could be discussed then with the 10 non-permanent council members. The U.S., Russia, Britain, France and China hold veto power over any resolution as permanent members.
The agreement follows a flurry of activity in Washington, including meetings between China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday, and with National Security Adviser Susan Rice on Wednesday afternoon.
National Security Council spokesman Ned Price said Rice and Wang agreed “on the importance of a strong and united international response to North Korea’s provocations, including through a U.N. Security Council resolution that goes beyond previous resolutions.”
“They agreed that they will not accept…